Can I put household waste into a skip?
Years of experience working in the waste disposal
Are you having a big clear out and are unsure how to dispose of your rubbish? Perhaps you’re wondering, can I put your household waste into a skip or if you need to load up your car and take it all to the local tip? This is a common question, with many people unsure of how to dispose of their rubbish safely and legally. Read on to find out if you can put your household waste into a skip.
What is household waste?
Household waste, which is also known as domestic waste, refers to disposable materials which are generated by households. Most of this waste is non-hazardous, including food scraps, paper, cardboard, and bottles. These items can be recycled or composted. Also, most household waste can be put into a skip, allowing you to dispose of it easily without having to take it directly to your local tip. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. Keep reading to find out what you can’t put in a skip.
What can’t I put in a skip?
There are certain items that you can’t legally put into a skip, and it’s important to know about these before you start clearing rubbish from your home. Prohibited items include:
- Electrical equipment and appliances. Some electrical items like computers, TVs, and microwaves are prohibited. You can dispose of them by taking them to a WEEE recycling centre instead.
- Large batteries. Whether they’re from your car or other equipment, you can’t put large batteries in a skip. The reason for this is that they contain harmful chemicals. You can take them to dedicated collection boxes at supermarkets or recycling centres to recycle them safely.
- Fluorescent bulbs. These bulbs contain hazardous materials, including mercury. This means that you can’t put them in a skip. So, if you’ve found some old bulbs at the back of the cupboard and want to get rid of them, you’ll need to find a recycling centre which will take them. Your local council will be happy to advise you.
- Medical waste. You can’t dispose of medical waste such as needles, syringes, and PPE in a skip since they can be hazardous for skip operators. The good news is that you can easily find a fully licensed medical waste disposal firm in Durham to take waste like this off your hands.
- Plasterboard. If you’ve been carrying out building work in your home, you may have plasterboard to dispose of. Unfortunately, you can’t put this material in a skip that has other forms of waste in it. In some cases, a skip hire company will take it if it’s the only waste that you want to dispose of. You may think that plasterboard is an innocent material, however, it actually gives off hydrogen sulphide gas, which can be very harmful.
- Fuels, solvents, and paints. Skip hire providers aren’t licensed to handle these items. This is because they contain harmful chemicals. These hazardous materials are combustible and can even cause severe chemical burns. You can put paint in a skip only if it’s dry as it poses no risk in this state.
If you’re still unsure what you can and can’t put in your skip, don’t hesitate to ask us. Ward Bros have been providing skip hire services across the Northeast for many years. This means that no matter what you need we will always be able to advise you what is best and, if we’re unable to take your items, we can advise you of the best places to dispose of them safely.
Why hire domestic skips
Domestic skips can help you dispose of your household waste easily and conveniently. Skips offer clean, quick, and practical waste disposal. Not only is it less time-consuming than sorting your rubbish yourself and heading to your local tip, but it also means your vehicle’s interiors won’t be damaged. You can be sure that dirty, dusty, or smelly waste will quickly find its way into your car’s interiors! If you have a large amount of household waste to dispose of, it doesn’t make sense to take several trips to the tip. Instead, hire a skip from a leading skip hire company in Durham and make life so much easier for yourself. Ward Bros can deliver your skip to your home at a time that’s convenient for you.
Choose Ward Bros for skip hire in Durham or Washington
At Ward Bros, we supply a range of domestic skips in Washington and Durham, with all needs and budgets catered to. We can offer skips in various sizes, ranging from 3yd mini skips to larger 8yd midi skips. So, whether you’re moving house and clearing out your unwanted junk or you’re embarking on a renovation project within your home and need to dispose of wood, bricks, or other building materials, we can assist. We can also let you know if a permit will be required for your skip and how to get one for your project.
Ward Bros has a fantastic reputation for skip hire in Durham and Washington, with more and more people coming to us when they want to dispose of their household waste easily and affordably. Our prices are some of the most competitive in the region, with our service representing fantastic value for money. Why not check out our reviews online to see what our customers are saying about our services? We’re based on Littleburn Industrial Estate in Langley Moor but serve customers across the Northeast.
Finally, getting in touch with Ward Bros to discuss your household waste disposal needs couldn’t be easier. Call us on 01916660167 to talk to one of our friendly team. Alternatively, email us here and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.